Good afternoon Night’s Watchmen!
My apologies for the lack of updates last week, but personal drama, etc etc. In good news, picked up some new camera equipment so the video content should be improving exponentially as I figure out how best to use it.
Let’s get onto the hits!
1. Game of Thrones Halloween Costumes: Daenerys, Daenerys, Daenerys… one has to wonder if there was any other costume as popular as everyone’s favourite Khaleesi (*coughMileycough*), but whether there was or not we haev to recognize that Game of Thrones continues its epic march towatrds the cultural mainstream. Khaleesi costumes might be little more than geek porn for those of us who have enjoyed the many photos HBO has been promoting over the past week, but there are many other popular characters being represented on Halloween… October 31st is truly little more than an excuse for all the cosplay junkies to wear their best acoutrements out and about without being derided for their geeky passions, but any excuse is a good one in my opinion. We geeks have a responsibility to support one another, and so I’m going to provide a little more exposure for some of my favourite Game of Thrones costumes that came online last week.
Please click here for the gallery uploaded by the Game of Thrones facebook page, but here are some of my favourites!
2. When you wear the Game of Thrones, you are rich and lucky! Etsy commission worker rarity has come up with something truly magnificent in her store this past month. A selection of four Game of Thrones-inspired hooded sweaters. These have extraordinary embroidery and the designs are both beautiful and true to the setting. From the Targaryen-Dothraki mashup to the stag motif on the Baratheon hoody, I fell in love with these instantly and grabbed my credit card from my wallet… then I clicked on the store link. This artist only opens 40 commissions per month which often fill up in the first hour that her store is open at midnight on the first morning of the month; and her commissions are very expensive. These hoodies were priced at $200 USD per, plus shipping. I might have still considered it if they had been available; however, they are just that amazing… alas, I was not amongst the fortunate few who will be able to demonstrate their Thrones love literally on their sleeves. At least not with these exclusive sweaters. Winter is coming, and sadly the vast majority of us have been left in the cold.
3. Game of Thrones season 4 is coming! HBO has announced the premiere date for season 4 of its epic fantasy series: March, 2014, which is no surprise to anyone. Last season we got our first episode on March 31st, barely making it into the first month of Spring; in 2014, I could easily see us getting Episode 1 on sunday, March 30. They seem to like placing themselves deep in March, and owning the Spring ratings. This would be interesting as it would be virtually 6 months removed from the premiere of AMC’s Walking Dead… the show that completely dominates the fall and winter months. Walking Dead aires 16 episodes compared with Thrones’ 10, but I find it very interesting that HBO pushes their schedule hard to completely avoid their biggest cable show competition. It looks like (giving hiatus weeks, etc), Walking Dead will be ending a scant two weeks before Game of Thrones begins; giving us another year of nerdvana; Walking Dead leading directly into Game of Thrones, leading (presumably) into True Blood’s eighth season.
4. Spoiler Alert: Episode 9 will be a doozy! A recent filming photo has been released showing some of the cast involved in shooting the ninth episode of the upcoming season. We see a large swatch of presumable Wildlings against an icy backdrop that looks quite familiar. It would appear as though the bonfire that Mance Rayder promised in season three is going to get set in the second half of season four!
Photo credit to Nick de Semlyen of Empire Magazine
5. Casting News?! Still?? We are only weeks away from filming being over for the season, when out of the blue we get one last tidbit of casting news. Styr, the Magnar of Thenn has been cast by Russian actor Yuri Kolokolnikov. Kolokolnikov is not known on this side of the world, but he has been acting in Russia for years. Styr is the leader of a warmongering tribe of Wildlings who join Mance Rayder’s march on the Wall.
6. Blog news! A little tidbit tagged onto the end of this post, just to let you know where the blog is headed in the near future. We recorded the second episode of our world-famous audio podcast this past Sunday and I think it is a doozy. We take out fanboy blinders off and watch the pilot episode of Game of Thrones with a critical eye. We have a special guest for this episode to add a bit of unsullied perspective to the chat.
I’m hard at work putting together the next video we have on deck, we changed our video setup completely, and the editing process has increased in complexity by an enormous amount. I’m just an amateur at this, so the next video might be a little longer in coming out, but you can look forward to it hopefully being much easier to watch.
That will be all for the Game of Thrones hits for this week. Hopefully I’ll be back this weekend with a new podcast for everyone!
As always, please check out our YouTube channel and follow us on Twitter.
Until next time, never keep secrets from your wife and best friend… it just might cost you your head!